Friday, September 5, 2008

Dispatch #28 Undercabinet Pullout Drawers - Update

Note: Pictures for this entry select :Photo Galleries>Flash Photo Gallery>Pullout Drawer Project
This week on my days off I started building the prototype drawer for the project. My first prototype (P1) was constructed using half lap joints. I didn't do a full glue up on P1, instead I used blue painters tape to put it together to see how it looks. I wasn't real happy with the results of P1 so I decided to build another using the box finger joint method.
Before I started P2, I decided to go ahead and mill all of the boards to final thickness of 1/2". It sure made a lot of new mulch for the concrete planters on the front of the garage.
In cutting the pieces of P2 to length I used my Woodpecker precision straight edge and a marking knife I picked up at Woodcraft. This method sure my cuts accurate.
I then numbered all of my corners using blue painters tape and a sharpie. This was to keep the orientation correct. I cut the finger joints on the table saw using my sled jig.
The bottom of the drawer was cut from 1/2" birch plywood. To cut the piece I used my new EZ Smart System rail and my Makita 5007MGA circular saw. This was my first opportunity to use the EZ system and I was well satisfied with it. All of my cuts were dead on accurate with the EZ rail. This eliminated having to use the table saw to cut pieces to final dimensions and saves stock.
I glued up P2 and after we had supper I installed the drawer slides on the box and then the rails inside the cabinet. The prototype was a great success so I will began production of the remaining drawer assemblies on my next day off.
Your comments are always welcome and don't forget to check out the pictures.

No comments: