Sunday, August 31, 2008

Dispatch #27 Starting a New Project

This past week I began the kitchen cabinet pull out shelf project. These shelves will be installed in all but one of the lower kitchen cabinets. The only reason the one won't get the pull outs is that the door does not open fully due to the new dishwasher being a bit bigger than the old dishwasher. I will be installing a total of 12 pull outs.
The first problem I've encountered is that the cabinets were site built. The entire unit was built as one piece. This means there are no side wall to attach the drawer slides too except on one end of the cabinet.
The solution to this problem was to construct a mounting strip for the drawer slides to mount to. I measured the side next to the end wall and it needed 1-1/4" to bring it flush with the edge of the face frame. On the opposite side, the middle face frame was 2" wide. For the 1-1/4" thick piece I used a piece of 3/4 x 4" pine and added 3 pieces of 1/2" mdf as spaces. On the 2" thick piece I laminated two 3/4" x 4" with 3 ea 1/2" mdf blocks in between them. This gave me the 2" I need.
To fasten them to the cabinet shelves used my Kreg Pocket hole jig to drill 6 pocket holes on each face of the 2" thick pcs and 6 holes on the accessible side of the 1-1/4" piece. We will be staining the piece prior to installation so I can add a few dabs of glue to the bottom of the mounting strips when I install them. Between the glue and the pocket hole screws they should be secure.
Tomorrow is Labor Day and I plan taking the before pictures and the pictures of the mounting strips. They will be posted to the gallery tomorrow evening.

No comments: