Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Dispatch #25 Trip to the Hardwood Center

Today we made a trek over to Scottsboro to the Hardwood Center. All I can say is WOW!! They had species of wood I've never even heard of before. There were some Africa Mahogany that was a good 22" wide and had the most beautiful texture and delightful to the touch.
Our mission today was to find some 1/2" thick stock for construction of the pull out shelves in the lower kitchen cabinets. After walking through the Hardwood Center's warehouse and oohing & hahing over all of the wood, we settled on some basswood. It is appox 9/16" thick by 4" wide. It came in random lengths and we managed to find about 100 LF that will be usable. They had a great price I thought on the basswood at .83 per LF. In fact all of their hardwood prices seemed very reasonable.
We also checked out their hardwood plywood and saw some great domestically produced hardwood ply. Will sure keep that and all of the wood in mind for future projects. I would highly recommend anyone within driving distance of Scottsboro, AL to make a trip over there if you need quality hardwoods for any project. They also produce hardwood flooring, molding (both stock & custom order). If you are restoring an antique home they can even take a sample of you existing molding and make a cutter knife to produce new molding to match. Visit their website at Hardwood Center
We got rain most of the day here in Florence, I was suppose to go over and watch UNA's football team practice this afternoon, but due to the rain we postponed till tomorrow evening. That works out even better since they will be scrimmaging then. So I made good use of my time and done a little cleanup in the shop. I removed all the items from one section of my pegboard in preparation of removing it. I plan on replacing it with five 16" x 32" cabinets that I already have on hand. These were originally storage shelves for thick computer printouts at Sequoyah Nuclear Plant. I purchased them several years ago for $5.00 at a TVA sealed bid sale. They are made of Walnut Veneered dimensional lumber with a plywood back on them. I'm going to cut doors to fit and then install the doors with euro hinges. I'm debating on whether to paint the cabinets white or leave them walnut and then stain the doors to match.
I plan on hanging the cabinets on the wall using a french cleat at the top and a strip at the bottom edge. A drywall screw will be driven in to the bottom strip to prevent the cabinet from accidentally being knocked loose. Pictures of this project will be posted shortly in the photo gallery.
As always your comments are welcome.

No comments: