Sunday, August 3, 2008

Dispatch #23 Assembly Table - Update

Work continued on the table since my last post. I got all of the finger joints cut and the drawers assembled. I had one snafu when I got one of the deep drawer sides reversed and cut the dado for the drawer bottom on the wrong side. I had to re-make that one. The installation of the drawers slides was not near as difficult as I expected. Using the tips I gleaned from The Wood Whisperer's podcast they went in fairly easy. I did find out why he installed his drawer slides prior to putting the top on. It would have been a whole lot easier to have installed them with access from the top. Especially the top drawer slide, it was tight getting it in to say the least. I wouldn't have installed the top at the point that I did except there wasn't enough room to work with the top on the sawhorses and trying to assembly the cabinet at the same time.
I also cut the two cabinet doors and installed them with the Euro hinges. I previously had purchased a double template jig from Rockler with drill guides. This jig worked really well once I dialed it in on some scrap plywood. I cut the adjustable shelves and installed them. The drawer handles and knobs that I had selected were also installed.
Tonight I started on the final assembly work prior to staining. I cut the walnut plugs from a piece of rough sawed walnut that is about 20 years old. It has been in my basement for the last 10 years. I cut two of the four oak boards for trimming the edges of the top. Tomorrow's project will be to cut the other two boards to length and then rip all four to final width. The countersinks for the plugs and pilot holes for the screws will also be drilled on the drill press.
Recently using a piece of the scrap plywood used on the cabinet I tested all of the stains I had to see how they looked on the Birch plywood. I also tested the recipe mix that was in Fine Woodworking using the Pratt & Lambert gloss poly. The P&L mix was nice but with Tongue Oil it was just too red on the birch. I finally decided on the Minwax Honey Maple. It is a light colored stain with just a hint of maple color and it's the look I was going for.
Pictures will be posted in the Photo Gallery on my website Dave's Saw Dust Pile very soon.

As always, your questins or comments are welcome.

No comments: