Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Dispatch #10 Den Remodel Project - Update

Monday, May 26, 2008 was a milestone in the den remodel project. I completed the installation of the hardwood flooring. Now the trim work begins.
I had to mill several 1/4 x 3/4 strips to flush out the door frames. Since the original walls were of 1/4" paneling, all of the door casings had been installed to flush to it. After I installed the 1/2" Sheetrock this would have left a 1/4" gap between the door casing and the door molding. So, to the table saw I went.
I picked up a piece of 3/4" S4S clear pine at the HD last week just for this purpose. I ran both edges across the jointer several times to true up the edges. I then started ripping 5/16" strips off the edges. Then these 5/16" strips were run through the thickness planner and milled down to identical 1/4" thick strips. They were cut to proper length and using glue & brads installed on the door casing. As soon as Debra gets the door moldings painted I will be installing that. She has the baseboards painted and ready to install, but I have to wait till the door molding is installed.
In the mean time, I will clean my shop area up and get ready for the next steps.
On another note, Friday, May 30, 2008 is our 17th wedding anniversary. Seems only yesterday that we were installing a new deck on the house in Chattanooga and took part of a day to go get married. Tried to get Debra to make our celebratory trip to Loews today, but she didn't want to get out in the rain. We're going out tonight to celebrate since I have to work closing shift on Friday evening. We have reservations at the Marriott 360 Grille. This should be an event to remember since we've not been to the tower since the Marriott took it over.

More later.

No comments: